NJ Alternative Application FAQs


What is it?

The NJ Alternative Application is an alternative to the FAFSA. It is accessible only to students who are NOT U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or eligible non-citizens. In other words, it is accessible to DACA recipients and undocumented students.


Am I eligible?

To be eligible, you must:

  • have attended a high school in New Jersey for three or more years; AND
  • graduate from a New Jersey high school, or attain the equivalent of a high school diploma in New Jersey (for example, a GED); AND
  • register as an entering student or be currently enrolled in a New Jersey public or
    independent institution of higher education; AND
  • NOT be a U.S. citizen, green card holder or eligible noncitizen (i.e. you can be undocumented or a DACA recipient to apply); AND
  • register with Selective Service (if male); AND
  • file an affidavit with your college stating you will file an application to legalize  your immigration status as soon as you are eligible to do so.

What institutions are eligible?

See this list for institutions that qualify for all NJ state grant programs.

I was eligible when I graduated high school, but Dreamers/undocumented students couldn't access state aid then. Am i eligible now?

Yes! Your eligibility will vary from program to program, but you are eligible for the main state aid program: Tuition Aid Grants (TAG).


What do i need to apply?

You need to apply online using the NJ Alternative Application form. To complete this form, you should have the following information ready to go:

  1. Your (or your parents', if you're a dependent) 2016 tax information or other proof of income. If your parents did not file taxes, other proof of income (pay stubs, W-2, disability payments, etc.) should be used instead.
    1. If your parents filed jointly in 2016, you'll need an estimate of how much each one made separately.
  2. Your high school ID number, which you can find on your transcript.
  3. Your Social Security number, if you have one.
  4. Your NJ driver's license, if you have one. DON'T use a license from another state.

How do i apply?

Once you have those documents handy, you can apply online. If you'd like, you can look at a sample application here. But remember: you MUST submit the actual application online; you can't use the paper copy! Once you submit the application, make sure to choose the option to send a copy to yourself and save it for your records.

What happens after i submit my application?

You can log on to NJFAMS to see the status of your application after it's been processed. You will also see a checklist here  that lists any additional documents you need to submit to the state to support your application. This could include things like a worksheet of your household's monthly expenses or a tax transcript, which you can request from the IRS. If you get to this point and aren't sure what to do, contact us for help! Call or email Nedia: nedia.morsy@maketheroadnj.org or 908-967-3478.

You should also take a look at other state aid programs and see if you qualify for any of them! The NJ Alternative Application is required for all of them, so you've already taken the first step.

What is the affidavit?

This is a document provided by your college or university that you sign. It confirms that, if at some point in the future you have the chance, you will legalize your immigration status as soon as possible. If you can't find your college's affidavit online, reach out to your college/university and ask them for the form.

More   questions?

Contact Us!

Get in touch with Nedia Morsy (nedia.morsy@maketheroadnj.org, 908-967-3478‬) with any further questions or help with your application!